Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields:
This collection of airfields is ©
2010-2012 by RonaldV
Großenbrode Revised 6 Feb 2012 - Neumünster Revised 6 Feb 2012
Kaltenkirchen Revised 6 Feb 2012 - Travemünde Updated 23 Jun 2012 - Lübeck Karlshof Updated 22 Feb 2012
Land- und Seefliegerhorstes Großenbrode (Grossenbrode)
Naval Aviation Station (germen: Seefliegerhorst) Großenbrode was an airfield in the town of Großenbrode, north of Lübeck on the coast of the Baltic Sea.
During World War II it was a naval base for the Kriegsmarine, built between 1937 and 1942.
It bordered on an inlet of the Baltic Sea, which had ideal circumstances to practice takeoffs and landings on water.
At the same time it also had two crossing runways.
The station came under military command in August 1938 and 10 months later the Air Torpedo School (german: Lufttorpedoschule) was opened.
On 15 October 1941 the Lufttorpedoschule got its air wing; KSG2 (Kampfschulgeschwader 2) with 2 Training Groups (Lehrgruppen)
Only 6 weeks later the Wing got deployed to Grossetto in Italy
in March 1942 the "Lufttorpedoschule der Luftwaffe" was renamed to "Flieger Waffentechnishe Schule 3 (Fl.Waff.T.S.3)" or Aviator Weapon Technics School.
It kept this name until the end of the war.
Großenbrode did not at any time during the war have any units of its own assigned
the installation and its facilities were to:
- give basic and advanced courses to aircrew in dropping airborne torpedos (LT or Luft Torpedos, until 1941)
- give basic and advanced courses to groundcrew in handling airborne mine laying (LM or Luft Minen) and airborne torpedoing (LT-) aircraft
- conversion of aircrew to new or different aircrafttypes
- conversion of different aircrafttypes
- replacing and retraining of Squadrons and Groups
- working up of operational squadrons
Unfortunately no images of the airfield while in use were located
When airborne bombardments of the Third Reich intensified, especially at night, the Seefliegerhorst required some form of protection.
As it was fully night operations equipped it became an auxiliary base to the 2. Jagddivision (2 Fighter Division)
Addittionally units of the Mine Detaction Group MAUSI were stationed at the base to clear the sealanes in the Kiel and Lübecker Bight from enemy magnetic mines.
The base was not of great importance however: in the period 1944-1945 only 3 Allied air strikes took place at the base.
The airstrike at 12:45 (local time) on 25 August 1944 largely missed the base and the town, although two people were killed
The airstrike at 22:45 (local time) on 26 April 1945 by the RAF was aimed at the over 100 aircraft that had moved in from elsewhere.
Pathfinder aircraft dropped their 'Christmastrees' but because of the wind they drifted over the village, causing 28.6tons of high explosives, 0.7tons of incendiaries and 11 air mines to be dropped there.
Aside from the destruction on the ground at least 12 people lost their life.
During recovery work the next day time-delayed fuses went off and caused more destruction.
Litterally on the last day of the war, on 3 May 1945 around 21:00 (local time) 24 fighterbombers of the RAF from Faßberg (Fassberg) attacked the air base using their guns
During the bitter air battle that followed (according to English reports) a large number of German fighter aircraft were shot down, and many others that were stioll on the ground were destroyed.
However: Of the 24 aircraft that had taken to the skies at Faßberg, only 13 returned, some of which were badly damaged.
After the war the airbase was largely demolished.
The aviation terrain was used as a terrain where trains were on- and offloaded onto/from ships for the service to Gedser in Denmark
Later the Bundesmarine (Federal German Navy) used the terrain and its barracks until 1995
Next to the Marine the Luftwaffe also used the barracks, but they stayed until 2004.
At the Fehmarnsundkaserne Fernmeldregiment 71 was based in charge of Fernmeldesektor A.
Working from a 12-storey tower the townsfolk called the Ghostviewer (german: Spökenkieker) they were doing electronic intelligence gathering on objects upto 600kilometers away
The tower was one of 5 such towers along the German/German border.
It was sold in the 2004-2010 time frame.
For the Feldmansundkaserne a civilian role is under development.
Now abandoned site of Land- und Seefliegerhorstes Großenbrode in 2010. Despite having been removed
over 50 years ago the outlines of the railroad to the train ferry (dotted blue) and the locations of the runways
(red) can still be recognised from the air (Google Earth).
Runway: 08/26 - 600x15meters - asphalt
Runway: 01/19 - 485x40meters - grass
Airport Neumünster (german: Flugplatz Neumünster, ICAO: EDHN) is an airport northwest of the Schleswig-Holstein city of Neumünster in Germany.
Like many airfields in Germany airport Neumünster was founded by the Luftwaffe in 1935.
As the new Luftwaffe was in its infancy, it needed new aircraft and new airfields.
Construction of the airfield baegan in 1936 ath the edge of Neumünster.
To make room for the new airfield a farm and some gardens had to be removed, much to the grief of the local community that had come to love and enjoy these gardens.
By 1938 preparation of the landing field had progressed to 70% so the construction of the first hangars begun
At the east side of the airfield the first barracks as well as air traffic control facilities and shelters for flying and ground personnel were built.
The first user of the airfield was not millitary however, but a private company that worked very close with the military.
"Land und See Leightbau GmbH" of the Sachsenberg brothers established themselves in a plant in Neumünster in 1938/1939
Their business was repairing and re-equipping aircraft.
By 1939 the "Land und See" orderbooks were so filled with orders from the Luftwaffe they began looking for an expansion.
For this purpose they took charge of a hall that until that time had been in use to auction live stock.
Today, this hall is known as the "Holstenhalle".
The first flying unit at the base moved in on 21 September 1939.
It was 2 Group of Fighter Wing 77 (german: II Gruppe of Jagdgeschwadere 77, or II./JG77) coming from Nordholz
By October I./(J)/LG2 and a part of JG101 had joined them, but the first left already on 1 November, the other by Februari 1940.
In April 1940 the air bases in Schelswig-Holstein played an important part in Operation "Weserübung" (Exercise Weser).
On 2 April the Mountaineers (german: Gebirgsjäger) and other infantry units had been brought together at Neumünster to be flown to Narvik and Oslo-Fornebu (Norway).
For this task the Special Fighting Units (german: Kampfgruppen zur besonderen Verwendung, or KGr.z.b.V) 102 and 107, flying Ju90 and G38 had been brought to Neumünster.
KGr.z.b.V 102 took off on 13 April 1940 in 10 aircraft, heading for Narvik.
When they arrived there they emergency landed on a frozen lake, and from there the soldiers continued to Narvik by land.
The aircraft sank through the melting ice however.
This was not their first setback, as two of their aircraft had already crashed on takeoff at Neumünster, causing several deaths and wounded.
KGr.z.b.V 107 fared much better; their machines, including some obsolete Lufthansa G38 and four Ju90 transports all brought their cargo to Norway without incident.
After the operations in Norway and Denmark were complete, Neumünster became quiet again.
Other than a few IV.(EG)/ZG26 Messerschmidt Bf 110 attack aircraft that stayed a few days in August 1940 the field mainly saw Bf109 fighters visiting "Land und See".
As noone counted on enemy attacks the field did not even have Flak until 1942.
No units are known to have stayed at Neumünster until 1943, besides the occasional visitor for transport or refuelling.
The only incidents during the period were Allied bomberes that crashed in the city after having been shot by German fighter aircraft.
In December Joseph Goebbels ordered 16 year old school students to begin manning Flak and searchlights.
This meant that many students began theri training at the field on 15 January 1943.
In April II Group of Jagdgeschwader11 (III./JG11) came to the airfield, bringing 480 men and Bf109G-6 fighters.
Ths year also saw an increased number of air battles with Allied bombers and fighters, of which severeal crashed in and around Neumünster.
This also happened to German fighters, causing the death of many of them when they were unable to bail out from their aircraft.
In 1944 only one unit utilised the air base.
A detachment of the Aircraft Piloting School (german: Flugzeugfüherschule) B39 took to the airfield, bringing their FW58, Ju W34 and Siebel Si204 aircraft.
They brought a fair number of Italian pilots to town, who received their training in June and July.
By April the airbase had its first air strike by the USAAF, causing one death and severeal injured.
Buildings and equipment received only minor damage though.
Only a month later a train was attacked nearby by Allied pilots, killing 19, mainly women and children.
The next attack in October caused hardly any damage at the airbase, but significantly more in the city of Neumünster: over 100 people lost their lives.
In February 1945 the first tell-tale signs of the end of the war became visible.
Losses had risen so dramatically that underaged had been drafted into frontline service for some time.
In some parts the fronts had moved onto German soil.
For Neumünster this meant more activity at the airfield.
By April the German cause seemed hopeless.
The Russians had encircled Berlin, and the British had crossed the Elbe River near Lauenberg
At the airbase II./JG26 flew their FW190D-9s as fighter bomber and reconnaissance aircraft all day.
On the 30th of April I./KG66 flew their Ju188 machines into Neumünster on their way to Norway.
They left on 3 May with JG26, leaving only non flyable aircraft and aircraft that were in repair at "Land und See".
A day later the British took Neumünster and the undamaged air base, freeing over a thousand forced labourers from all over Europe at "Land und See".
The last German machine landed on 8 May 1945 at the airport: a Ju52 of a transport Group, and it flew in from Norway.
After this the air base was used as a scrapyard for old German aircraft.
The final wrecks ware removed in spring of 1948.
Wrecks at Neumünster 1946, left at the airbase, right at "Land und See" (Source).
Neumünster, ca 1950. The white arrow points to the large hangar of "Land und See", but other areas can
be recognised as well (Source).
Today a small part of the former airbase is the new airport of Neumünster.
Most of the former airbase has disappeared.
When thousands of refugees fled the east of Germany, many ended up in Neumunster.
To house them, an new neighbourhood was built on a major part of the air base.
A large hangar still exists next to what remains of the airfield, but it is on private property and thus off limits.
The main guard building is now a police station
Finally one building is still in use by the Luftwaffe, but no further details about it are known.
The new airport of Neumünster began with the foundation of the Neumünster Flying Club in November 1950.
A year later they finally received permission to resume flying, albeit with gliders only, as powered flight was still prohibited by the Allied authorities.
In 1952 the club received its first post-war glider: D-3500 was heavily sponsored by the local Coca-Cola factory.
Only a year later their fleet had increased to two, and when flying was allowed over Germany in 1955 a captain of the British Army had been found willing to acquire a Tiger Moth (G-ANUF) to tug gliders into the air.
'His' Tiger Moth did not last long: shortly after arriving at the club it crashed and was damaged beyond repair.
In 1966 the current airport was taken into service, the hardened runway in 1975.
In 2010 the flying club celebrated its 60th anniversary.
The airport is owned and operated by the Flugsportclub Neumünster e.V.
Airport Neumünster, left the present day tower, WW-II hangar in the background (Wikipedia, Sep 2009)
Map of todays airport Neumünster (Source).
The 1950s map above and a photo of airport Neumünster (in red) in 2010 combined.
Runway: SSW/NNE - 1800x85meters - Concrete
Einstazhafen Kaltenkirchen was an airfield a few kilometers west of Kaltenkirchen in Holstein, Germany
Construction of the airfield began by order of the Reichsminister and Supreme Commander of the Luftwaffe, issued 1 October 1935.
The location was chosen because of its proximity to the Reichsstraße 4 (Todays B4 road) and the availability of the railroad at Kaltenkirchen
The base was about the size of the current military exercise area Kaltenkirchen.
After the land acquisition by the Treasury was finished construction began in 1938.
Construction was done by local construction crews assisted by the Organisation Todt
In 1940, the airport construction site employed about 1400 men.
They were housed in rapidly constructed barracks in the towns of Springhirsch, Heidkaten and Moorkaten.
Besides the usual airport requisites (Water, electricity, roads, drainage) the grass landing field and a provisional concrete runway (direction SSW-NNE) were built
Initially the airport initially was limited to glider flying and a few night fighters of Nachtjagdgeschwader (NJG) 1 that used the airfield to hide in late 1942.
Additionally it was used as a training facility for Luftwaffe medical staff of Luftgau XI, and as a hospital.
The medical training facility left the airfield in October 1942.
In April 1941 the 1. Naval Driving School (1.Marinekraftfahrausbildungsabteilung 1.M.K.A.A.) formed withthe aim to teach sailors how to drive a car in 6-8 weeks.
In 4 companies all classes of drivers licences (cars, trucks, buses, etc) could be earned.
1. M.K.A.A. left the airfield in September 1944.
Einsatzhafen Kaltenkirchen airfield plan
Until the end of the war the airfield was also home to the hospital of Stalag XA, a POW camp with housed mainly russian soldiers until the summer of 1944.
Although officially a hospital, POWs were forced to work at the airfield.
Conditions in the camp were so bad, it was a death camp in reality as the medical care was severely insufficient considering the prisoners had to work.
Death toll was high, and at least 400 men perished.
Additionally there was also a smaller Italian POW camp.
To realise the planned expansion of the Einstazhafen new labourers were needed.
They were found at concentration camp Neuengamme, which ran about 80 'outside camps'.
The first prisoners arrived in August 1944.
The prisoners were used to expand the airfield, especially the runway.
In October the runway measured 1800x85meters.
Additionally two hangars were built on the southeast side and one on the southwest side.
The 500 prisoners also built two hangars and an engine test stand in Kaltenkirchen.
For a short period the camp grew to 1,000 men of different nationalities.
The camp was moved to Wöbbeln on 16/17 April 1945 via the railway station in Kaltenkirchen
During the existence of the outside camp between 500 and 750 people died of hunger, illness and abuse of the camp guards.
The deaths were buried in the nearby forest, and the bodies that were uncovered after the war were reburied on a small cemetary in Moorkaten if their bodies could not be identified for a burial at home.
In December 1944 I.Group of JG7 brought their Me262s to Kaltenkirchen.
The Group was being rebuilt, and filled with retrained pilots from Lechfeld.
The first Me262 was almost immediately photographed by a reconnaissance plane of 542Sqn RAF.
From now on the airfield was a known 'jet base' and under constant scrutiny of the Allied air forces.
As a result the airfield got a Flak battery filled with young Hamburger "Flak aides" (german: Flakhelfern).
This unit stayed at the airfield until the end of March, and was possibly responsible for shooting down a 339th Fighter Group P-51.
Its pilot bailed out and was captured.
I./JG7 avoided the fight however, and proceeded with their task: training aircrew on the Me262.
On 12 february they reported a total of 12 aircraft, which grew to 25 on the 18th.
The aircraft were hidden away in the forests surrounding the airfield and were towed to the runway, sometimes as far as 2 kilometers.
In the immediate vicinity of the airfield radar sites were erected.
Training took its toll however: because of collisions, technical issues and pilot error several aircraft were lost, as well as several pilots.
the worst day was on 30 March, when the group lost 4 aircraft and 3 pilots on a single day.
Shortly after the unit left for Brandenburg, leaving behind some pilots to follow with Me262s that had been left behind.
In the evening of 5 April 1945 the first Arado Ar234 jet bombers arrived at Kaltenkirchen with III./KG76.
These brand new bombers had already seen their first successful operations and came from Achmer and Marx
The Wing (german: Geschwader) only brought two squadrons to Kaltenkirchen: No.6 and No.8 having 25 aircraft of which only 8 operational
In spite of severe fuel shortages the unit flew for ten days between 5 April and 3 May 1945
The airfield suffered from a US aerial attack on 7 April and a week later an Ar234 was shot down during takeoff by a Hawker Tempest of 59Sqn. RAF.
The number of servicable aircraft dwindled however, so 6 Staffel (squadron) handed over their aircraft to III. Group and marched off to Lübeck.
In the midst of April a general appeared at the airfield, and sent off 150men of the Wing to the eastern front.
The first Ar234 left for Leck on 28 April, the last ones on 3 May, and on to Stavanger in Norway from there.
The air attack of 7 April had left about 950 bomb holes on the grass landing field, and another 30 had turned the concrete runway to rubble.
An unforeseen result of this action was that the prisoners in the camps were ordered to repair the airfield.
Accoring to German aircrew of the day, the so-called Kapos were extremely abusive to the prisoners.
Interventions by Luftwaffe personnel had little or no positive effect.
On the evening of the 10th the runway was repaired to such an extent that operations could continue.
Further repairs were deemed not neccesary, and the prison camps were moved to Wöbblen.
Mid-April a reconnaissance Wing flying two Staffeln (squadrons) of Me262s moved to Kaltenkirchen.
Although they had only 5-6 combat ready Me262s, this was partially made up by 3 FW-190 for bad weather reconnaissance.
On Wednesday 2 May they left again, for Hohn and Schleswig, leaving two aircraft behind, which were to be brought on the 4th.
Because English fighters were overhead the airfield guarding it, one of the pilots initially refused to take off.
He only did so at gunpoint, only to be shot down near Kiel, severely injuring him.
On 3 May 1945 the airfield was left in chaos when the last Luftwaffe soldiers left the airfield.
An SS-unit shot 10 Serbian POWs, TK-mädels (underaged girls forced in the military) had been released and abandoned at the airfield and a large amount of Luftwaffehelferinnen had been left stranded at the airfield.
Loose parts of Luftwaffe units, a number of Navy personnel and base security were left at the airbase.
The Arado research department had flown onto the base on 1 May in a 4 engined Arado Ar234C and an Ar234B transport (filled with wives and children)
Some Ju87 of 3./Nachtslachtgruppe 8 dropped in, but left quickly.
Bf109, Ju52, Ju88, Bf110 and FW190 were seen on the airfield, and many of them were blown up.
Especially the large amount of FW190s present at the airfield in March was noteworthy
When on 4 May 1945 the last aircraft had left personnel awaited the arrival of the English troops, which arrived a day later and found a "cleaned up" airfield.
Personnel and villagers of hte surrounding villages had already done their 'wartime shopping' at the base.
Immediately following the war the base was used as a POW camp, temporarily housing 2000 German troops.
At the airbase the English set up a car park, which at 20,000 captured vehicles must have been one of the largest in Schleswig-Holstein
This is where German POWs were put to work initially, later relieved by German service personnel.
The camp sites were dissolved and refugees were housed in the buildings, a situation that lasted until the 1960s.
The vehicle park was finally cleaned in 1950 and a process of reforestation began by planting 2 million trees.
The runways were blown up in 1949/1950 and in 1951 a French delegation exhumed concentration camp victims for reburial.
For a while the former airfield was considered (in 1968) as the new location of Hamburgs new airport, but ultimately the location became an army exercise grounds.
Einsatzhafen Kaltenkirchen in 2009: the runway is the only recognisable feature in the land
Travemünde airfield (german: Flugplatz Travemünde, also known as Lübeck-Travemünde, Travemünde-Priwall, Erprobungsstelle See, E-Stelle See or Seefliegerhorst Travemünde) was an airfield 70 kilometers northeast of Hamburg.
Its exact date of orgin is hard to determine.
At the beginning of the 20th century Zeppelins (airships) were reportedly starting and landing at the location, known as the Priwall.
The first aviation plant (Flugzeugwerft Lübeck-Travemünde GmbH) began building and testing floatplanes in 1914.
The first flight on Priwall was on 5 Jun 1914 by a Etrich-Rumpler "Taube".
This is why 1914 is generally considered the beginning of aviation at the airfield.
That same year airfield 'Travemünde-Priwall' was cleared for civilian air traffic.
When the original owner died, the aviation plant was sold to Fokker in August 1917 and in September 1918 the plant was sold to Caspar-Werke.
Since aircraft production was forbidden under the Versailles treaty, it officially produced furniture and household appliances.
However, secretly it manufactured aircraft parts, to be assembled in Sweden.
One of the designers was Ernst Heinkel, who designed aircraft for use from submarines.
He sold them to the USA and Japan, the very Allied powers that officially insisted on a ban of aircraft production.
In 1922, Heinkel left the Caspar-Werke and established his own company in Warnemünde.
The Caspar-Werke were sold off to the German Navy in 1926, by which time seaplanes had already been evaluated in Lübeck.
Priwall became a State airfield (german: Reichsflughafen) in April 1926.
With maintenance facilities and pan-European connections it also provided the public with a return flight to Berlin, Hamburg and Copenhagen.
Flights were made by Luft Hansa, both with flying boats and land-based aircraft.
Growth was considerable, so Priwall needed to be expanded and rebuilt in 1927.
Priwall was chosen for an expansion over Hamburg and Kiel-Holtenau and funds were provided by the Hamburg Senate, City of Lübeck and the national government for the sum of 300,000 Mark each.
During the rebuild, which lasted until November 1927, Lübeck-Blankensee served as an alternate airfield.
The Caspar-Werke AG aircraft plant, which started as a Fokker plant and became the Seeflug-Erprobungsstelle in 1928 (photo via forosegundaguerra.com)
Map of the 'Hanseatic airport Lübeck-Travemünde' in 1928 (Bo Justusson).
Main hangar and workshops at Travemünde, 1928. Barely visible inside is Rohrbach Ro-V D-1261 "Rocco".
1928 photo of Travemünde (top) and the airfield, taken from 4,000 meters altitude (photo via forosegundaguerra.com)
After the rebuild, Priwall was designated 'Reichsüberseehafen', State Overseas Port.
Its new hangar could house 4 large and 3 small aircraft, the offices housed the airport administration on the east side and the Rohrbach aircraft works were located on the west side.
An asphalt apron covered the area between hangar and water.
Floatplanes were used to fly to Kopenhagen, as land aircraft were deemed too risky to fly overe large stretches of water.
To make full economic use of the 'Reichsübersee-Flughafen', the HanseatischeFlughafengesellschaft (Hansaic Airport Company) was founded in 1927.
By 1928 it already handled 1053 landings with mail, freight and passengers.
The Rohrbach-Metallflugzeug company built a construction shed in 1928.
The Deutsche-Lufthansa set up their regional headquarters and the airfield became the airtraffic roundabout of the North.
In 1929, 16 year old Trui Elisabeth Oving from Travemünde, wrote an excellent paper on the airfield.
The paper (in German) gives an excellent idea of the airfield in pre-nazi Germany.
To follow the great successes of the Lübeck aviation industry, the "German aerospace industry," set up a test site that has largely shaped the airport for the future.
In 1930 and 1931, airshows took place, the latter included a visit by The German airship LZ127 'Graf Zeppelin'.
The Great Depression prevented any further airshows.
Between 22 and 26 June 1932, the Do X made a number of sightseeing flights as part of its Germany tour.
A floating dock, dimensioned to hold the Do X (40 x 25 m, could be submerged to 3.5 m, with a capacity above 100 tons) was available as well.
The airfield and the test site, or 'Erprobungsstelle (E-Stelle)' in German, were taken over by the German 'Reich' in 1933
They added a military branch and a Aeronautics Agency (German: Luftzeugamt).
Civil aviation was banned from the airfield in 1935.
The 1927 terminal served as meteorological office.
Eventually, the airfield grew to employ some 1500 persons at the Erprobungsstelle.
A recovery ship "Greif" was added in 1937.
The peninsula became a military restricted area.
In spite of that public days were held throughout the 1930s until the outbreak of World War II
postcard overview of Travemünde-Priwall airport from the southwest (priwall.net).
Postcard of the Luft Hansa station building in the early 1930s. The building survived the war and still exists today (priwall.net).
Postcard of the entire airfield looking west in the early 1930s (priwall.net).
As 'E-Stelle See' (Test Center Sea) the airfield was responsible for the testing of all naval aviation.
While it initially focused on seaplanes and amphibians, it featured a carrier deck with arrestor-gear from 1938.
It was specifically built to test carrier landings, carrier aircraft, and the arrestor gear itself.
Although the nazis did not own a carrier, they were building one, the Graf Zeppelin.
However, as construction never progressed beyond 90 procent the project was eventually halted, and eventually cancelled.
Three forced labour camps existed on the Priwall peninsula, all for services to the test unit.
The three camps (I, II and III) housed 150, 80 and 250 foreign forced labourers respectively.
Testing continued throughout the war, although the airfield also became an operational field.
Towards the end of the war the airfield for instance operated a small number of BV222 'Wiking' flying boats for the secretive KG200.
In 1945 several air attacks were carried out on the airfield, one of which sank one of the last remaining BV222s
Near the end of the war a seemingly endless flow of refugees, fleeing for the Red Army began to flow onto the peninsula, looking for a route to Travemünde, just across the river.
Ferries were used to transport them to safety.
The airfield was ultimately occupied by English forces in May 1945.
The Priwall peninsula, presumably late 1950s. Trees have been planted on the former airfield, but some buildings are still standing,
such as the large hangar - still visible as a dark spot right of the center (seelichter.de).
Due to the splitting up of Germany in occupation zones, the airfield found itself on the border between the UK occupation zone and that of the Soviet Union.
This made the airfield useless, so it became a refugee camp.
Most hangars and many other buildings were demolished, but the Lufthansa terminal was used for housing for refugees.
The English left the airfield in 1948.
The terminal building was later used by the German customs service and eventually abandoned.
Priwall effectively became an island when the border was closed by East Germany.
The island slowly reformed into a touristic location, with an FKK nude beach directly opposite the watch towers of the East German border guards.
This situation lasted until the end of the Cold War in 1990 and the reunification of both Germanies a year later.
By 1990 the terminal building was empty, the windows boarded up and it was about to fall to ruins, when it sold off to private owners and restored.
Today the area is a tourist resort and the actuual airfield has become a nature preserve.
Some airfield infrastructures still exist though, such as the former Lufthansa terminal and the 1935 administration building.
A hospital was located in the former barracks until the late 1990s.
The Inner German border (the division between East- and West-Germany) on the Priwall peninsula in 1982 (Panoramio).
The Old Lufthansa Terminal at Priwall in 2008 (Panoramio).
Overview of the former airfield in 2010 (Google Earth).
Many thanks to Volker Böhme for providing me with a lot of extra information and corrections!
Flying field: 0000x00m - grass
Lübeck-Karlshof airfield was an airfield 70 kilometers northeast of Hamburg
The airfield was built in 1912.
That year the airships LZ 11 "Viktoria Luise" and LZ 13 Hansa landed at the airfield.
In 1913 a navigation flight for powered aircraft to Schwerin and Weimar was flown.
The airfield was transferred to the military in 1914.
No photos have been located
After the opening of the new Lübeck-Blankensee airfield in 1917 all movements slowly moved to the new airfield.
Lübeck-Karlsdorf ultimately closed in 1919.
Today, nothing reminds of the former airfield, which was located at what are now sportsfields.
Only the local streetnames reflect the aviation heritage of the area.
Streets have been named after aviation pioneers, for example Dornierstraße, Eckenerstraße, Zeppelinstraße and Lilienthalstraße.
If you have any information about airfields (listed and unlisted) in Germany, email RonaldV.